Sunday, October 3, 2010

Harvest Day

Jonathon had Harvest Day at his Preschool last week and I was the "helper parent" that day too! It was a lot of fun helping his cute teacher out and getting to know Jonathon's little friends in his class. It was also so fun standing in the background trying to be conspicuous as I watched him at school. He is quite a little leader, he kept calling out to his classmates to do this or pretend that. He was very proud to show me around his classroom too. As his teacher and I were chatting while the kids were working on an art project, she told me that my son is such a sweet boy and that he is really starting to branch out and make new friends. The most touching thing she said though, was that his favorite thing to do during free play time is to play in the pretend kitchen and bake cookies, showing his classmates nearby how to use the measuring cups and so on. This made my eyes watery because baking and cooking has been "our thing" since he was able to even stand. I love cooking and baking, my mom and grandma do too, and so I always ask him to help me, whether it's baking bread, cookies, or pizza, he loves it all. He has developed a love for it and in baking and cooking together we have bonded through it, by laughing and talking. It is actually a good skill to teach because it teaches order, patience, following directions and then a good result from doing the following. Also, when he's a grown handsome man his future wife will be so glad he can cook and bake! Something I thought maybe wasn't as big a deal to him as it was for me, was something he loved to do the most at school. It showed me how much he loves spending that time with me too, and that he's thinking of me when he's away.

Towards the end of class time we went out to his teachers garden for harvesting! She has an amazing garden with every vegetable you can think of. She showed the kids how to harvest and they each had paper bags to fill with vegetables from her garden to take home! Jonathon was so amazed that when you tugged on the green leafs a carrot would pop out of the soil, or that inside the pod were little peas, or that he could pull a corn off the stalk and put it in his bag all for himself. All of the kids were filled with excitement and wonder and Jonathon's teacher had a blast showing the kids all of her hard work and was so generous to take the time to share and show them her garden.


Mrs. S showing the kiddos her garden!


Digging up some yummy carrots


Fall is here, check out the pumpkins!


Picking some tomatoes


Mrs. S showing a huge squash


Corn maze!


Green onions


Celery


Another squash


peas in a pod


Jonathon's goods to take home and show daddy! He was so excited to show Jake and Caleb and Aunt Brittany, who is here with us! Happy harvest!

1 comment :

Bryan and Sunny Tringali said...

Aww, so cute! Looks like you guys had a blast! I know exactly what you mean about cooking and baking I do the same with Eligh. I wish the same in the future for them to be able to cook for their wifey! haha